Saturday, January 16, 2021

Range Report: Snider-Enfield Rifle 1/16/21

After months of effort, I finally got to shoot real ammunition (meaning not the MiniƩ balls for fireforming). These cartridges were X-Ring brass and .600-caliber 2-groove bullets with 63.7 grains of Pyrodex P powder (don't give me grief, it's all I can get). I fired 20 rounds at 50 yards from a seated supported position. I used a half sight and aimed at the very bottom edge of the paper.

I confess I am somewhat disappointed. I fired three groups, and got string test measurements of 8.6, 8.5, and 7.7 inches/round respectively. The overall string test measurement (for all 20 rounds) is 8.35 inches/round, which would not qualify me for a Civil War sharpshooter regiment! However, as the attached picture shows, the Mean Point of Impact was 17.5 in. above the point of aim. Now, given that the rifle is zeroed or 100 yards, that's probably not horrible--of course it will hit high at 50 yards. Still, the string test measurements seem high, and are somewhat disappointing; I expected tighter groups since I was firing from a supported position.

On the other hand, I got to shoot a 150+ year-old rifle using ammunition I cast and loaded myself by hand (thanks to Martyn Robinson!!). I love this rifle, and am in awe of it. I don't care if it doesn't shoot minute-of-angle groups, not really, because it's a military rifle and wasn't made for that. I am thrilled to have this chance to shoot a magnificent piece of ordnance. LOL! Now if only I could find more primers and some Swiss powder so I could reload these cases and try to find a better load!!!

I used a wet patch followed by two dry ones to clean the bore after every five rounds. The method I used for loading these rounds can be seen here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Range Report 04May2024: Comparing Colt and Remington New Model Army Revolvers

  Today's shooting conditions. Today’s range session was supposed to be dedicated to doing some ballistic testing of a handful of recrea...